Gum disease is inflammation of gums and supporting structures of teeth. Red, swollen and bleeding gums are sign of gum disease. It is called gingivitis in milder form and periodontitis or pyorrhea in advance stage. It is one of the most commonly seen disease in every part of the world.
Good news for gum disease:
- It is easily preventable – with good oral hygiene, when you brush properly twice a day and floss once a day at least.
- It is reversible in initial stages – by regular visit to dental office, healthy diet, keeping teeth clean free of plaque and staying away from smoking.
Bad news for Gum disease:
- As it is painless in early stages, it keeps getting worse without your knowledge.
- It can affect all ages, starting from teenage years to senior years.
- It causes recession of gums, loosening of teeth and drifting of teeth.
- It is the most common cause of tooth loss in adults.
- With premature loss of teeth, it affects your appearance and smile.
- It is the major cause of bad odor from mouth.