You might develop certain habits without realizing it. Dentists call them bad habits as they can undermine your dental health. They contribute in developing cavities in teeth, infection of gums and thus results in unnecessary pain in teeth and some times lead to serious dental problems:
- 1. You come home late at night after a big party. You are too tired and go to sleep without brushing and flossing your teeth. Left over food particles remain in the mouth all night. Poor oral hygiene is responsible for gum infection called gingivitis.
- 2. You are running late for work, so you brush your teeth too vigorously to save time. Vigorous brushing damages enamel of teeth. After a while teeth become painful and sensitive to hot and cold foods.
- 3. Your gums bleed when you brush your teeth. You just ignore the bleeding as it is painless in initial stages. If not treated in time this can become serious gum disease called periodontal disease.
- 4. Every time you are thirsty, you grab a can of diet drinks or sport drinks. All carbonated drinks have adverse effect on teeth by eroding the protective enamel on teeth. It results in erosion cavities on teeth, making them very sensitive.
- 5. You do frequent snacking on junk foods including processed foods and soft sticky, sweet foods. Combination of these foods with bacteria and saliva in mouth form dental plaque. This plaque is the biggest culprit for most of dental problems.